The more clear you make it, the better the results:
- Be Specific about what you want out of it
- Use Proper Grammar and Punctuation to help you explain it clearly.
- Set the Context of your response so it know how to approach it.
- Use Specific Keywords or examples to help explain.
- Refine Your Requests using Follow Up Prompts
- Set out the style of output such as writing style, layout, and paragraph styling with headings.
- Follow Up: use follow up prompts to ask it to modify, clarify or vary the response.
- Act as: Tell it the role/job/industry you want it to act as. This is built into the way ChatGPT works so is important to include.
See my colour coded anatomy of a good prompt with detailed explanation of the parts and why they should be included.
Also by using my prompt generators to help your write comprehensive prompts you can better understand how to write them and have examples of the parts to include.
Or as ChatGPT puts it:
- Keep your prompts short and to the point.
- Use clear and simple language.
- Avoid using jargon or technical terms.
- Be specific and provide context where necessary.
- Use active voice instead of passive voice.
- Make sure your prompts are grammatically correct.
- Avoid asking multiple questions in one prompt.
- Use clear and concise sentence structures.
- Provide clear examples if necessary.
- Avoid using overly complex sentence structures.
- Use positive language instead of negative language.
- Consider the tone and style of your prompts.
- Make sure your prompts are relevant to the topic.
- Use appropriate punctuation to clarify meaning.
- Use transition words to connect ideas.
- Be mindful of cultural differences and avoid offensive language.
- Consider the intended audience when writing prompts.
- Provide clear instructions if necessary.
- Use correct spelling and avoid typos.
- Test your prompts to make sure they are effective and understandable.